I am going to kick off my new blog site at the beginning of the year – As Not Seen on TV.
AS NOT SEEN ON TV is the official site of the world’s largest online resource promoting POSITIVE images, stories, and messages about people, events, and things that may not be covered by mass media.
I want to encourage others to join me in uncovering hidden treasures in our communities and sharing them with others. Stories to look for include, but are not limited to:
1. Teens and other young people doing good things – good grades, playing sports and other activities, scholarships, perfect attendance
2. Images and stereotypes about minorities opposite of those promoted by the media (when they are actually covered).
3. Success stories in light of statistics. For example, according to Divorce Magazine.com, the median duration of first marriages that end in divorces is 7.8 years for males and 7.9 years for females. Thus, couples married 10 years or more will be featured.
4. People doing great things in the community no matter how great or small
5. Small business owners that have been serving communities for years
6. The real truth about what’s going on in other countries around the world
7. “Real life” of celebrities as told by celebrities or those close to them. Show them as people not as entertainment.
8. “Reformed” members of society. These are people who previously did bad things, served their time, and are now doing positive things.
9. Diverse cultures living in harmony. There is very little diversity shown on television shows.
10. Women in male dominated careers and men in female dominated careers. This is not a bad thing, but you rarely hear about these professionals.
11. Events sponsored by smaller organizations that are serving the community but get little or no publicity.
12. Milestone anniversaries and birthdays of people, events, and businesses.
13. People who have succeeded in spite of circumstances in life. They refused to allow their backgrounds and situations make them victims.
If you have any stories to share, hold them until the beginning of the year. I would love to have you to contribute to my site.